Kubla Central

Full Version: Not responding of the software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
 I had tried to use Kubla Cubed software to helped me to calculate the volume of cut and fill needed for my company's project (325 acres road and embankment). However, when I attached the dxf format of the LIDAR data of this project, the Kubla Cubed software is unresponded to the dxf drawing data for adding the contour line in the software. May I request for the limitation of the file size to be used in this Kubla Cubed Software and kindly provide the advice and recommendations to solve these problems.
(12-30-2019, 06:03 AM)jongcs1995 Wrote: [ -> ] I had tried to use Kubla Cubed software to helped me to calculate the volume of cut and fill needed for my company's project (325 acres road and embankment). However, when I attached the dxf format of the LIDAR data of this project, the Kubla Cubed software is unresponded to the dxf drawing data for adding the contour line in the software. May I request for the limitation of the file size to be used in this Kubla Cubed Software and kindly provide the advice and recommendations to solve these problems.

Kubla Cubed uses a calculation engine based on TINs.  The performance of the calculation is heavily dependent on how many triangles are in the TIN.  The triangle count is not so much effected by how many contour lines there are but more by how many points are used to make up those contours. 

In general I would say it is best to keep the point count under 20,000 points.  However the program can handle 100,000 and higher on a powerful system.  Ultimately it is up to the estimator to decide how many contours points to use for the input balancing calculation speed against fidelity of the surface.

In the case of LIDAR data it is very likely that the raw data will not be appropriate for Kubla Cubed as it is often millions of points.  Kubla Cubed does have a good point thinning algorithm that you can use though.  This can also be applied with contours.

However the data you provided is far too dense for use in Kubla Cubed.  I would recommend as a first step cropping the data to only slightly larger than the area you are going to be calculating against.  If you can crop it to a bit larger than the proposed road that would help.

Alternatively you could reduce the interval between the contours (if you are generating it yourself).  The contours are so dense and the the area so vast that even a CAD program struggles to display the data let alone triangulate and perform a volumeteric analysis.

If you get stuck let me know what software you have available to reduce the data set and I can offer some more advice.