Kubla Central

Full Version: Geotech borehole logs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
is there a way to input borehole log data from a geotech report, in order to calculate quantities of different material types? 
Another software I previously used, you could pick points on the plan, manually type in your material depths fro the log, and it would extrapolate the data into layers.

i.e then you end up with cut/fill volumes for rock, clay, topsoil, etc.

Thanks
[Image: BYrupqf.png]
(07-05-2021, 02:57 AM)conradccb Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
is there a way to input borehole log data from a geotech report, in order to calculate quantities of different material types? 
Another software I previously used, you could pick points on the plan, manually type in your material depths fro the log, and it would extrapolate the data into layers.

i.e then you end up with cut/fill volumes for rock, clay, topsoil, etc.

Thanks

Unfortunately, currently Kubla Cubed does not allow for inputting of different material types and bore holes.  However these features are requested often by our users and they are on the road map. 

There are plans for an 'Ultimate' edition of Kubla Cubed that would support paving with different material types and also allow for defining bore holes and different materials layers for the existing.  You will then be able to output reports which break down the cut\fill by material.  As this is going to require a fairly large rewrite of our calculation engine it is not expected to be available until 2024. 

That being said a lot of our users do manage to work around this problem by swapping out the existing surface with another surface to represent the different strata in the existing. 

For instance if you calculated cut\fill against the existing surface and a proposed in a second phase.  Then did another 'existing surface' which represented a rock layer and created two projects one with the original existing and one with the rock.

The cut difference would represent the amount of cut that had gone into the rock and the rock volume subtracted from the other would tell you the non-rock excavation.  Some of our users use this logic so are using bore holes but just not in a way the program natively supports.
I currently map borehole material levels with a feature surface with defined levels by material.
Creating a phase for each material type for reduction.

This works well for me when reviewing ground contamination and topsoil depths.
I know it's a bit late but have you tried using any software specifically designed for geotech borehole logs? There are a bunch of different options out there, so it might be worth doing a bit of research to find one that suits your needs. In terms of cut/fill volumes for different materials, it sounds like the software you used before was pretty handy. I'm not sure if the software I mentioned earlier would be able to do the same thing, but it's worth looking into. By the way, have you heard about workover rig maintenance? It's super important for keeping your rig running smoothly and avoiding downtime.