Kubla Central

Full Version: Site Balancing Feature and Yield Factors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would love if this software could balance a site automatically, I used to have another software that would tell you by how many inches or feet you could reduce/elevate your points to achieve a balanced site. This would be a great tool. 

It would also be nice to be able to add yield factors or "fluff" to cut (typically 1.25) and fill (1.45) quantities, or at least have them in reports and such. I guess account for compaction factors is what I am trying to say.
(05-10-2022, 08:43 PM)Karina Pena Wrote: [ -> ]I would love if this software could balance a site automatically, I used to have another software that would tell you by how many inches or feet you could reduce/elevate your points to achieve a balanced site. This would be a great tool. 

It would also be nice to be able to add yield factors or "fluff" to cut (typically 1.25) and fill (1.45) quantities, or at least have them in reports and such. I guess account for compaction factors is what I am trying to say.

Hi Karina,

Welcome to the forums!

There is no automatic site balancing of data in the program however, due to how you can quickly adjust earthworks elements in the program it is very easy to balance a site using a trial and error process.  For instance, if you have defined a feature surface with a collection of contour lines, by experimenting with adjusting the offset of the surface you can find an optimal balance quite easily.   

The trick is to separate the different areas of the proposed that could be adjusted (either by elevation or in the X,Y plane) into different earthworks elements. You can use multiple feature surfaces for different sets of contour lines or points or the primitive earthworks elements : platforms, slopes and paths where required.  You can then use offsets to make adjustments until you obtain the required site balance.  Obviously, there are a number of factors to consider like swell and compaction factors.

[attachment=53]

We are keen to introduce more sophisticated balancing methods into Kubla Cubed and will be looking to do this in the future.  For now though, the above somewhat simple methods can often get you the desired results without too much work.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
I assume by balancing, this is also referring to "flattening" the layout?

For example when we do initial site cuts on an existing block that formely had a building or two, it'd have a number of preexisting site cuts, would be nice if we could flatten to a more common surface level the estimated site and backfill into the cuts.

The other method I can thick of, assuming the site has a fairly consistent surface plane is to use a slope tool to level out.