Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Kubla Lite - volume of a spoil heap

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020, 10:46 AM by Graham.)

Can you calculate the volume of a spoil heap using the Lite version of Kubla ?

(02-15-2020, 10:45 AM)Graham Wrote: Can you calculate the volume of a spoil heap using the Lite version of Kubla ?

Yes you can calculate the volume of a spoil heap using the free edition of Kubla Cubed.  

The process is discussed in this YouTube video :

How to Calculate Stockpile Volumes with Free Software

Basically you have to define your stockpile as the existing surface.  Then in the proposed you use a platform element to draw an area around the stockpile giving it the level of the ground when the stockpile is completely removed. Set the platform mode to 'cut only' to prevent it from filling in any small low spots.  The cut in the proposed phase will then be the volume of the stockpile.  

In this forum post on Land Surveyors united I demonstrated getting a close match with other software using the Kubla Cubed free edition.

software-for-calculating-a-stockpile-volume-from-a-csv-or-dxf

A few other members recommend other tools you can try also.  Good luck and let us know if you need any help.[/color]

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020, 11:31 AM by Graham.)

(02-17-2020, 05:02 PM)Ted Woods Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 10:45 AM)Graham Wrote: Can you calculate the volume of a spoil heap using the Lite version of Kubla ?

Yes you can calculate the volume of a spoil heap using the free edition of Kubla Cubed.  

Basically you have to define your stockpile as the existing surface.  Then in the proposed you use a platform element to draw an area around the stockpile giving it the level of the ground when the stockpile is completely removed. Set the platform mode to 'cut only' to prevent it from filling in any small low spots.  The cut in the proposed phase will then be the volume of the stockpile.  

In this forum post on Land Surveyors united I demonstrated getting a close match with other software using the Kubla Cubed free edition.

A few other members recommend other tools you can try also.  Good luck and let us know if you need any help.[/color]

Ted, thanks for the advice. I have tried what you suggested and it works fine if the platform level is a fixed level, which you define, but if the platform level itself varies, is it possible to input existing ground levels around the perimeter of the stockpile, or do I need to purchase Kubla software to do this. Thanks again for your response.

(02-18-2020, 11:25 AM)Graham Wrote:

Ted, thanks for the advice. I have tried what you suggested and it works fine if the platform level is a fixed level, which you define, but if the platform level itself varies, is it possible to input existing ground levels around the perimeter of the stockpile, or do I need to purchase Kubla software to do this. Thanks again for your response.

Yes ideally for doing this more complex calculation you would use the feature surface with a 'varying level' outline to accomplish this in the Professional Edition.  However as a workaround in the lite edition you could calculate the stockpile against a plane for the highest point on the base.  Then trace the co-ordinates for the base of the stockpile using the mouse cursor into a spreadsheet. 

Then start a new project and enter a varying level outline for the existing feature surface creating a 3D polygon of the base, then calculate that against the platform at the highest point and it should give you a fill.   You add the fill to the cut you got in the first project to get the total stockpile volume.

Alternatively you could connect a number of different platforms at different levels in a lattice (making sure to turn off side batter) to approximate the base. For instance for a sloping surface you could do a number connected platforms to create steps.

It's awkward with the lite edition but possible with a bit of ingenuity.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2020, 06:22 PM by Graham.)

(02-19-2020, 12:54 PM)Ted Woods Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 11:25 AM)Graham Wrote:

Yes ideally for doing this more complex calculation you would use the feature surface with a 'varying level' outline to accomplish this in the Professional Edition.  However as a workaround in the lite edition you could calculate the stockpile against a plane for the highest point on the base.  Then trace the co-ordinates for the base of the stockpile using the mouse cursor into a spreadsheet. 

Then start a new project and enter a varying level outline for the existing feature surface creating a 3D polygon of the base, then calculate that against the platform at the highest point and it should give you a fill.   You add the fill to the cut you got in the first project to get the total stockpile volume.

Alternatively you could connect a number of different platforms at different levels in a lattice (making sure to turn off side batter) to approximate the base. For instance for a sloping surface you could do a number connected platforms to create steps.

It's awkward with the lite edition but possible with a bit of ingenuity.

Thanks Ted, I like your solution quite ingenious, will give it a go.

all the best.

Graham