Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Path or slope or something else???

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 03:17 PM by timetomaketracks.)

I have an existing topo survey.  I also have a final restoration contour plan.  I am trying to work out the volume of mineral which cannot be extracted due to a pipeline running across the site.  I would be obliged if anyone could suggest the best route to determine this.  The pipeline 'corridor' is approx 40m and I don't need batters taking into account.

Any help appreciated!

OK - use of an outline gives me what I needed - but how to calculate the volume of material within the strip??

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 05:09 PM by Ted Woods.)

(06-04-2021, 03:06 PM)timetomaketracks Wrote: I have an existing topo survey.  I also have a final restoration contour plan.  I am trying to work out the volume of mineral which cannot be extracted due to a pipeline running across the site.  I would be obliged if anyone could suggest the best route to determine this.  The pipeline 'corridor' is approx 40m and I don't need batters taking into account.

Any help appreciated!

OK - use of an outline gives me what I needed - but how to calculate the volume of material within the strip??

Welcome to the forums! If I understand you correctly you have an existing topography (survey points) and then a proposed topography (contour lines). The proposed contours don't take into account the fact there is a pipeline over the site, so you need to work out how much volume is being excavated over the pipeline and from there how much potential mineral is being lost due to this, based on an estimate of mineral per m3.

You could just trace a Volume Region around the perimeter of the pipeline corridor. See this link for an explanation of the volume region tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTiAaocQm8g

After completing the above operation, view the earthworks report. There will be an overall phase volume as if the pipeline did not exist but then a region break-down consisting of the volume in the pipeline corridor and the remainder. The volume in the pipeline corridor is what you are missing out on and the remainder should be what you have without the pipeline volume.