Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

LIDAR Accuracy ?

Good afternoon All,

Firstly, I can't believe I'm posting on the survey part of this forum, but since starting to use Kubla Cubed I've become fascinated with obtaining survey points and contours for all my cut and fill projects.
My question is, to all you land surveyor types is, how accurate do you find LIDAR data?
I've managed to find a way of converting the LIDAR data into xyz points then producing a dxf of the contours, chopping the resulting file to the required area of the site, then importing into Kubla Cubed.
It would be quite comforting to know if the data is reasonably accurate and suitable for estimating applications.

Cheers

Tim

(03-17-2018, 04:31 PM)TimO Wrote: Good afternoon All,

Firstly, I can't believe I'm posting on the survey part of this forum, but since starting to use Kubla Cubed I've become fascinated with obtaining survey points and contours for all my cut and fill projects.
My question is, to all you land surveyor types is, how accurate do you find LIDAR data?
I've managed to find a way of converting the LIDAR data into xyz points then producing a dxf of the contours, chopping the resulting file to the required area of the site, then importing into Kubla Cubed.
It would be quite comforting to know if the data is reasonably accurate and suitable for estimating applications.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

I found this article that you might be interested in.  It relates to drone accuracy but it covers some of the complications involved in determining "accuracy" 

Accuracy in Drone Mapping What You Need to Know

Most drones don't use LIDAR I don't think although I'm not totally sure.  There's no reason why they couldn't.  From what I know Photogrammetry is used more with drones.