Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Cut and Fill Volumes along a Chainage

Could there be a feature in the future Kubla releases to allow cut and fill volumes to be displayed along any given string? I envisage that it could be similar to the current cross section tool but with a given 'path' width which would display the cut and fill volumes along the Y axis and the string chainage along the X axis. This would assist in rationalizing mass hauls in conjunction with the Kubla model.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022, 02:38 PM by Rich Howes.)

(06-29-2022, 07:21 AM)GWeldt Wrote: Could there be a feature in the future Kubla releases to allow cut and fill volumes to be displayed along any given string? I envisage that it could be similar to the current cross section tool but with a given 'path' width which would display the cut and fill volumes along the Y axis and the string chainage along the X axis. This would assist in rationalizing mass hauls in conjunction with the Kubla model.

Hi Gweldt

Thanks for the feedback. We have had this request a few times from different users. For road design we can see this is a requirement and will try to create a tool for this. I have added your comment to the Kubla Cubed feedback docs.  Something like this is what you are thinking of, I think: 

The yellow being the X-Sections. 

Kubla Cubed doesn't use the cross section 'end area method' to calculate the volume of roads. It uses the truncated TIN prism volume calculations. There is also the possibility of exporting the cut and fill areas in the cross sections (which has also been requested).  Combined with a tool for automatically generating cross sections along a string (in Kubla Cubed they are called 'centrelines') with a set width you could pretty easily reproduce the traditional road cut & fill exercise with Kubla that way.  

I can't give an estimate on when we will be able to get this done, but it is something the team will discuss in future project planning meetings for Kubla Cubed.

As a workaround you can import sections from CAD so if you had a plugin in CAD that could do this you could import it in section by section (this is quite awkward but might be useful).

Thanks again for the feedback,

Rich