Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Colour map of elements

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2022, 08:06 PM by msnowdowne.)

Hello,

I recently had a job where the engineer did not show existing conditions - I was able to get a round it by using an orthographic satellite image of the site to takeoff the removals.
When a subcontractor asked which areas are asphalt roads and which are grassed, it wasn't easy to send him a map.
I had to take pictures of me selecting each element type to highlight them in the map.

see Picture 1 and 2 (first and last pic)

I think a solution is do add a setting under View to turn off cut/fill shading and turn on a solid colour or hatching to each element.
As the colour that has priority is on top it's be helpful to the modeler as the element order of precedence is right in your face; you can see what element has priority very easily.
This is important as it will hide outlines if they don't have priority.
The drawings become extremely messy if you don't hide the lines in an element that is behind another.
I included a picture of another job at the bottom where there are a lot of elements and it can be tough to manage it solely in your head.

I just realized the report function does something similar to this. Except it's showing surface elements on top of other elements which is not what I'm looking for. 
See pic 3 (middle pic), the large ditch along the bottom right side of the drawing is to receive 150mm topsoil (Element = Topsoil @ Main Site).
The ditch element is just applying contours - not telling it what type of surfacing it will get (paving/concrete/topsoil/etc).

see Picture 3, 4, and 5 (middle three pics)

Have a nice weekend.
Thanks.

Sorry - i can get the pics to show up in order.
The picture title from top to bottom is in this order: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Colour map of elements - by msnowdowne - 10-14-2022, 07:48 PM
RE: Colour map of elements - by Ted Woods - 10-19-2022, 02:38 PM