Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Help with plotting proposed features

I am measuring a camp site and need help with plotting proposed features with offsets (roads for example).

I have a drawing which contains existing contours and proposed contours. I have plotted the existing as normal but am having difficulty with the proposed levels. Usually, when measuring a road for example, I am provided with point elevations to the road perimeter. I use these to draw out the road using the Surface Feature element (the path element is often not suitable) and then add a negative offset. However, I only have proposed contours for this job so this will not work.

I have plotted the proposed contours, but now want to draw the roads, paths, pads, etc over this and apply offsets. Kubla would need to use the contours to calculate the proposed levels.

Can anyone help?

I found that if I used the Surface feature element for the proposed contours and then used the Strip element afterwards for the road this appeared to work.

Hope that makes sense, feel like I have made this more complicated than it needs to be.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2018, 03:28 PM by Ted Woods.)

(03-23-2018, 12:55 PM)MarcusJoel Wrote: I am measuring a camp site and need help with plotting proposed features with offsets (roads for example).

I have a drawing which contains existing contours and proposed contours. I have plotted the existing as normal but am having difficulty with the proposed levels. Usually, when measuring a road for example, I am provided with point elevations to the road perimeter. I use these to draw out the road using the Surface Feature element (the path element is often not suitable) and then add a negative offset. However, I only have proposed contours for this job so this will not work.

I have plotted the proposed contours, but now want to draw the roads, paths, pads, etc over this and apply offsets. Kubla would need to use the contours to calculate the proposed levels.

Can anyone help?

I found that if I used the Surface feature element for the proposed contours and then used the Strip element afterwards for the road this appeared to work.

Hope that makes sense, feel like I have made this more complicated than it needs to be.

If I understand you correctly you have proposed contours marking finished floor levels (FFL) but you want to calculate to the formation level (FL) or subgrade as it is commonly referred to in the states.  Different areas of the site have different thickness between the subgrade and the FFL.  We refer to this thickness as "Construction Thickness".

There are a couple of different ways to approach this problem, and we are thinking of ways to make this simpler without compromising the logic of the rest of the system.  As you have figured out one way to do this is to have a Feature Surface with FFL and then mark out the construction thickness areas over the top with strips. 

You will notice that the strip element has "Construction Thickness" marked as one of its intended uses.  It was designed to be used in this manor and this is the recommended method at this time.

I usually rename the strips to "Paving Thickness" or "Foundation Thickness" or something of that nature so it makes sense.  I also change the batter to 0.01 as typical this is what is required.  It is essential that the strips appear BELOW the surface in the calculation order for this to work if they are ABOVE the Feature Surface they will be overwritten by the feature surface elevations.  

Make sure you examine the proposed elevation with the cursor and in 3D to ensure the formation level\subgrade is being calculated and not the FFL.

Good luck.  If you get stuck e-mail us through when you are available and I will give you a call back to explain.

Thank you. You confirmed what I was thinking.

(03-26-2018, 07:59 AM)MarcusJoel Wrote: Thank you. You confirmed what I was thinking.

Just finished a new tutorial on this.  Check it out : 

Kubla Cubed 2017 - Adjusting to Subgrade \ Formation Level