Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Land XML and DWG

When I pull a land XML file and DWG into Kubla they are in different spaces why is this?
My land XML data is the surface data from the same project.

(04-04-2024, 11:01 PM)Martin Bell Wrote: When I pull a land XML file and DWG into Kubla they are in different spaces why is this?
My land XML data is the surface data from the same project.

Hi Martin

LandXML is a BIM format whereas DWG is a generic CAD format.  The problem is the CAD file is loose in its definition of scale.  In our opinion this is a major weakness of DWG and DXF.  Probably the core problem here is that either : 
  • The units of the CAD file are being 'guessed wrong'. 
  • The LandXML and CAD file are in different co-ordinate systems
  • There is some issue with International Feet and US Survey Feet.  
Why is Kubla 'guessing CAD units'

CAD files do not contain a 'units setting' there are various things that can be used to try to guess what the likely units are (e.g block scaling units) but it is not reliable.  We have improved this code a lot in Kubla Cubed 2024 but the fundamental issue remains.   

If you send the files to support we can let you know what the problem is.  It might be that it is fixed in Kubla Cubed 2024 which is due for release this week.

Hi Ted,

Ahh I see, for most projects we obtain legal survey data for they go off Nad83 UTM zone 10 however some projects that are rushed they don't geo-reference. I will send it to your support and see if you can help as I often find myself pullling topography from AutoCad thats already in a co-ordinate system. Then I model in Kubla and export those surfaces back into AutoCad before further exporting as a .ttm for the Trimble rover out in the field.